Thursday, November 4, 2010

Teaching at Elementary School

Yesterday I got a call in the late morning. The art teacher at my daughter's elementary school hurt her back and they needed an emergency sub for the end of the day. So, I have finally taught some classes in my school district. Hurray for progress! I taught a lesson on masks of Africa/Oceania to 2nd graders and two 1st grade classes were painting their 'Where the Wild Things' Are creatures. What fun and what a lot of work. Hats off to all of you full-time art teachers. I think the kids' energy forced me to be a little more up than usual, and that is tiring! Maybe that magic power wears off after a while. Each class had free choice activities if they finished their projects early. Some used building blocks and clay, some drew or painted a get well picture for their teacher, and a few created art just for little old me. It was a wonderful first time in an elementary art room and I can't wait to go back. Thanks Ms. D. for thinking of me, and get well soon. Here are my gifts of art from yesterday's students.





No comments: