Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A World of Art

Last year I hung up a world map to use in class, and told myself I would start posting pictures and locations for things we studied in class. Well, that project never came to fruition, although I did point at the map a whole lot! So I made a New Year's resolution to finally map out a world of art projects.
In retrospect I think it was more successful to complete this project all at once, rather than a couple of images every now and then. I planned out a color coded design and was mindful of including male and female artists, different time periods, native and/or cultural art, different materials etc.
The kids loved it! They got a chance to reflect on past projects, recall names and styles of art, and were curious about projects they haven't worked on yet. I can't wait for my opportunity to share with hundreds of children, instead of just dozens. I know my teaching job is out there somewhere,  but until then I'm happy to share with all who learn and create at my studio.

7 comments:

Mrs. Hahn said...

Great idea! I love it. I might quote it on my blog sometime. Thanks for sharing!

MiniMatisse.blogspot.com

Jacquelien said...

What a great idea! I'm a Dutch elementary teacher, and I have a class with high gifted students every Wednesday. We already studied dinosaurs, the making of newspapers and French language. My next subject will be art. This worldmap with artworks around it, will be a great start of our new project. Thanks for this great idea!

Renée Collins said...

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Hope Hunter Knight said...

very nice idea. i'm sitting here trying to figure how i can adapt it to my globe ; )

Angie said...

I love this. I've used the map and added the names of the artists, but I think this would be much more effective.

Unknown said...

Great idea- I've done this with countries we've studied, but not thought to use it for works we've studeied! Thanks for sharing!

Christy
http://www.mycrayolaclassroom.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Do you have a list of the artist, artwork and countries you used for this? I would love to make this for my art classroom. Thanks. Jhowes@rsu89.org