Friday, December 24, 2010

A Week in the Art Room

A temporary leave position opened up for an elementary art teacher and I was asked to teach full-time for a week as part of the application process. I cannot tell you how excited I was-- and a bit nervous. I had to plan lessons for grades K through 4, was interviewed, and one of my lessons was monitored. The teacher I would be filling in for taught at two schools in the district.  I loved every minute of it! Squeezing paint out of sponges, talking about famous art works and styles of art, guiding children of all different abilities through the lessons, and just being part of their school day. Unfortunately, I did not get the job, but it was a great experience nonetheless. I just feel that getting hired will require a leap by an administrator, since I am alternate route, and just don't look as good on paper as someone who has a masters degree in education or who has taught for a couple of years. Until then, I still move forward, working as a substitute teacher, giving lessons at the home studio, blogging, and being inspired by all of your blogs, lessons and artwork. Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on finding what you love! I was an alternative route candidate too. A lot of places wouldn't consider this so you have to go to a needy district and put in some time. I ended up liking the kids so much in the district I ended up in that I never took the leap to go to a more affluent system that really has money to support the arts (which was my original plan.) The universe has a plan I believe and when it unfolds you will be like AHA! That's why I didn't get that job that time. . . I was supposed to do this!

Good luck to you!

Janie B said...

Any experience you can get is a good thing. Good luck finding a permanent job. Be patient...it's out there.

tana... said...

Ahhh...there is something much better around the corner. Enjoy what you have and enjoy what you love doing! Teaching art is such a wonderful experience and I would do noting else! Merry Christmas...
mnartgal.blogspot.com