Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Raven Collages

During my full-time stint at elementary school, 4th grade students and I created collages based on the book Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest by Gerald McDermott. I read the story aloud to the class and we discussed the stylized designs and colors found in the illustrations.
All works started with a blue rectangle on a black border with four red squares in the corners to begin the border design. Students also had a template for the shape of the raven itself. I decided that since the design and space for it to fill was so specific, this would be the best way to go. Although by fourth grade I try not to use too many stencils.
After that all of the cut paper designs were left to their individual choice. Enjoy!






5 comments:

Patty Palmer said...

I LOVE these. So amazing and the contrast--stunning!

Anne Farrell said...

These are great - very effective!

Renée Collins said...

Thanks ladies! The illustrations for the book are the perfect platform. I am still having trouble photographing projects done in construction paper though! It tends to be grainy and catch the light in all kinds of kooky ways. Any suggestions teachers?

J.ham said...

LOVE THESE. Pinning!

Leeanne said...

Do you have a template you would share for the raven?